Skip to main content

Married Life- Greg's Perspective

"How's married life?" If I could get a buck for every time I've heard that question since becoming a newlywed, I'd be able to purchase a new car. Of all the questions I've been asked since August 2, 2014, this has been the most prominent one. My answer: "It's different."

Some people take it as a joke, as if I was attempting to politely cover up a sort of disdain for married life. Others react with a surprised "Really?" I wonder why my response would seem extraordinary. Even if it is an odd response, my answer is an honest one. Married life truly is different. There is not one facet of my life that has remained the same since the day I married Asia. Everything is different. Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Among the many differences is time management. More specifically (for me anyway) ministry management. Before we were married, I spent a ton of time doing ministry on campus and with churches, but after being married I was immediately confronted with the fact that marriage is a massive time investment and is more important than ministry in a church or school. I have the weighty privilege of stewarding Asia's heart, therefore I must give more attention and time to her than to teaching and preaching.

Another difference is intimacy, and I'm not talking about sex. Being married means seeing your spouse practically all day, every day. You think you know them on a deep level before you get married, which is true, but you will continue to mine the depths of intimacy once you're married. Some things you discover are wonderful, others not as wonderful. The beauty of this deeper knowledge is that you accept and are accepted, flaws and all.

So how's married life? It's different. Not good, not bad. Just different.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boundaries in a Courtship (A Man's Perspective)

The area of boundaries is probably one of the most important topics a couple will face on their way to marriage. The way boundaries are approached, set, and handled is one of the primary factors in how successful the relationship will be in areas of purity (whether that be spiritual, emotional, or physical purity). If that be the case, how are we to think about boundaries and use them in a God-glorifying way? There are a few passages that have helped me think through this topic. First, let’s consider Ephesians 5:25-27. It says “ 25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. (ESV)” Here, there is a command, an example, and purpose, and an ultimate goal. The command is for husbands to love their

Boundaries in a Courtship (A Woman's Perspective)

 In regards to a biblical courtship, this topic has to be one of my favorites. A courtship that is without boundaries is bound to lead to trouble in purity (hahaha… nice play on words right?… not trouble in paradise, but…Yea…okay). It is very important for both the man and the woman to discuss, agree, and intentionally implement boundaries to make certain that honoring God and each other’s purity are most important. Greg and I talked about implementing boundaries within the first few weeks of our courtship. Together we discussed the boundaries that we wanted to implement in our courtship and why we wanted to implement them. Here is the list of boundaries that Greg and I agreed upon, early on in our courtship. 1.      We would not kiss each other (lips, cheek, hand, anywhere) until our wedding day. 2.      We would not hold hands. 3.      We would not talk with each other until we had first spent time with God (reading the Word/personal studies). We still

Affirmation and Acceptance (A Man's Perspective)

 Affirmation and acceptance are the doorway to freedom and security in a relationship. If they are lacking, trust will be shaky and communication will be full of tension and hesitation. But if affirmation and acceptance are present in a relationship, vulnerability becomes safer and embarrassment is no longer a hindrance to true self-expression. When I say “affirmation,” what I mean is affirming someone’s worth and value. You can do it through words or gestures. When Asia affirms me, she communicates that I am someone worthy of admiration and respect. When I affirm Asia, I communicate that she is a unique, invaluable treasure, a “rose among thorns,” as Solomon puts it (Song of Songs 2:2). Everyone wants to be cherished and respected. You can see it everywhere. Many athletes put in massive amounts of time in practice in order to be respected and valued as a competitor. Artists do the same. Often, a guy will sleep with loads of women in order to feel affirmed as a man; a